Bursaries & Scholarships
Awarding Scholarships and Bursaries to Students of Mission Schools
Bursaries & Scholarships
Mission Community Foundation accepts applications for Bursaries & Scholarships annually and reserves the right to refrain from making an award if, in its opinion, the applicant does not meet the qualifications specified either in this section or in the description of the award.
Candidates are responsible for obtaining, fully completing, and submitting the Bursary/Scholarship Application Form (pages 8 -12) by the 4pm on the last Thursday of February.
Who is Eligible
To fully qualify for awards from funds administered by Mission Community Foundation (or otherwise stipulated), well rounded candidates must:
- be completing grade 12 from Mission Public School District or attending school in another community and be a resident of the Mission community in the current year;
- have satisfactory school graduation credits as academic standing is important to post-secondary institutes; degree granting institutes may require a higher academic standing than a career college/skills training centre.
- be registered for three courses by September 30th, and;
- have a valid Social Insurance Number or Individual Tax Number assigned by the Canadian Government.
Genuine financial need may also be an added consideration for some bursaries. The Bursary/Scholarship Committee also receives applications and interviews on behalf of other organizations.
Please note that unclaimed awards are returned to the Foundation after December 31, the following year. (Example: Awarded in 2015, claim by December 31, 2016.)
Funds may have restrictions and specific criteria established by the benefactor. The Committee will allocate available funding from the funds to the intent of the students anticipated trade or career path.
Candidates will be notified regarding interviews in the first week of April and award allocation. Recipients of the Bursary/Scholarship awards will be announced at the Mission Community Foundation Bursary/Scholarship Awards presentation event, held on the 2nd Wednesday in May at the Clarke Theatre. Awarded candidates will receive a written invitation to the event.
All applicants are responsible for completing / obtaining the following:
- Mission Community Foundation Bursary & Scholarship Application Form
- Biographical Sketch: a 1 page biography about you. Who you are and what do you want to become? What do you want to take in post-secondary education? What are your aspirations?
- Summary of Accomplishments: Leadership opportunities, Honors & Awards, Participation / Memberships, Involvement / Volunteerism, Sports, Arts, Cultural Events, After School / Employment.
- Transcript of grades: include most recent grade 12 report card or midterm marks
- Character Reference signed & dated: from outside the school community. This person should know you quite well; could be your coach, doctor, neighbor, church minister/pastor, etc.
- Photograph Permission form: signed by applicant and parent / guardian
Note: Bursaries are based on financial need in conjunction with academic performance. Further documentation may be required.
As calligraphy is a lost art, we request that all applications are filled in electronically, if you must manually fill in the forms, please print in block letters and in ink. To fill in the form electronically, save a copy to your desktop and open with Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat, this will open the fillable form. Once finished save completed copy for your files, print document and sign. Attach subsequent documentation and submit.
All forms and subsequent documentation should be printed on 8.5 x 11 paper and not stapled (as we must make multiple copies for our committee members) and in the order presented on the checklist.
How to Submit Your Application
All completed application packages are submitted to Mission Community Foundation via:
- School Counselors: You can submit your package to your school counselor and they will ensure it gets delivered to our office, or;
- You can deliver it Rex Cox Men’s Wear on Main Street in downtown Mission. As we no longer have a physical office, Carlo, who is a board member, has agreed to accept Foundation materials on our behalf, or;
- You can email your completed, signed application to email@example.com .
All selected applicants will be invited to an interview with our Bursary & Scholarship Committee. Interviews are held during the first week of April on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Previous Scholarship and Bursary Winners
Click below to view and download a PDF listing all previous award winners from 1988 to Present (2016).