Bursaries & Scholarships
Awarding Scholarships and Bursaries to Students of Mission Schools
Bursaries & Scholarships
Mission Community Foundation accepts applications for Bursaries & Scholarships annually and reserves the right to refrain from making an award if, in its opinion, the applicant does not meet the qualifications specified either in this section or in the description of the award.
Candidates are responsible for obtaining, fully completing, and submitting the Bursary/Scholarship Application Form by the 4pm on the first Thursday of March. Applications must be submitted as a complete package; partial submissions will be considered incomplete.
Who is Eligible
To fully qualify for awards from funds administered by Mission Community Foundation (or otherwise stipulated), well-rounded candidates must:
- be completing grade 12 from Mission Public School District or attending school in another community and be a resident of the Mission community in the current year;
- have satisfactory school graduation credits as academic standing is essential to post-secondary institutes; degree-granting institutes may require a higher academic standing than a career college/skills training centre, and;
- have a valid Social Insurance Number or Individual Tax Number assigned by the Canadian Government.
Genuine financial need may also be an added consideration for some bursaries. The Bursary/Scholarship Committee also receives applications and interviews on behalf of other organizations.
Please note that unclaimed awards are returned to the Foundation after December 31 of the following year. (Example: Awarded in 2022, claim by December 31, 2023.)
Funds may have restrictions and specific criteria established by the benefactor. The Committee will allocate available funding from the funds to the intent of the students anticipated trade or career path.
Candidates will be notified regarding interviews in the first week of April and award allocation. Recipients of the Bursary/Scholarship awards will be announced at the Mission Community Foundation Bursary/Scholarship Awards presentation event, held on the 2nd Wednesday in May at the Clarke Theatre. Awarded candidates will receive a written invitation to the event.
All applicants are responsible for completing/obtaining the following:
- Mission Community Foundation Bursary & Scholarship Application Form
- Biographical Sketch: a 1-page biography about you. Who you are, and what do you want to become? What do you want to take in post-secondary education? What are your aspirations?
- Summary of Accomplishments: Leadership opportunities, Honors & Awards, Participation / Memberships, Involvement / Volunteerism, Sports, Arts, Cultural Events, After School / Employment.
- Transcript of grades: include the most recent grade 12 report card or midterm marks and ministry transcript from 10-12.
- Character Reference signed & dated: from outside the school community. This person should know you quite well; it could be your coach, doctor, neighbor, church minister/pastor, etc.
- Photograph Permission form: signed by applicant and parent/guardian
Note: Bursaries are based on financial need in conjunction with academic performance. Further documentation may be required.
As calligraphy is a lost art, we request that all applications are filled in electronically. To fill in the form electronically, save a copy to your desktop and open it with Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat; this will open the fillable form. Once finished saving the completed copy for your files, print the document and sign. Finally, attach subsequent documentation and submit it.
The 2022-23 scholarship forms are now available. The application deadline is March 2, 2023.
Due to report card and transcript requirements, it is not recommended that the forms are submitted before February 2023.
Click below to view and download a PDF of the scholarship application form.
The form is a fillable PDF; please fill it in electronically and save a copy of the file.
NOTE: HANDWRITTEN APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Graduating & 1st-year students: 2023 Scholarship application
Adults 19+: 2023 Adult Education Application- ESIGN
How to Submit Your Application
All completed application packages are submitted to Mission Community Foundation. Print or email the file with the requested resources (educational transcripts and references). Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note if you are emailing the application, we will work off a printed copy of your application. Therefore, ensure your application has the correct email address, as that is the one we will email. Mission Community Foundation will not accept responsibility for errors between the application form and the email received.
We have arranged to pick up completed applications at the end of the day on March 2, 2023. MSS gives to Mrs. Pearce, Fraserview sees Tom Nguyen or Dan Thiessen, and Riverside sees Mrs. Cummings.
All selected applicants will be invited to an interview with our Bursary & Scholarship Committee.
2022-23 interviews will be held on April 3,4,& 5 at the School Board office at 33046 4th Ave in the basement board room.
Previous Scholarship and Bursary Winners
Click below to view and download a PDF listing all previous award winners from 1988 to the Present (2016).